The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2024 | Print Archive

Tinker the Facility Dog

Certified assistance dog joins EMU's staff

This fall at Eastern Michigan University, some new feet will be walking the campus — or rather, some new paws. Tinker, a two-year-old golden retriever, will be joining the College of Health and Human Services as a certified assistance dog.  

Paws with a Cause, a disability support and service organization in Royal Oak, Michigan, trained Tinker for two years. She was then brought to the staff at the College of Health and Human Services so they could learn how to work with her. Tinker passed her certification test and is now officially a facility dog.  

Paws With A Cause has been in operation since 1979, training dogs to increase quality of life for thousands of people. Their assistance dogs learn to fulfill a variety of important roles. They become service dogs for people with physical disabilities, hearing dogs for those with hearing problems, and response dogs for those who suffer seizures.  

Tinker is trained to help relieve stress and provide a calming presence. “Facility dogs are known to lessen stress and anxiety, and in CHHS and the library, we are actively working on ways to minimize this for students, staff and faculty," said Jennifer Kellman-Fritz, dean of the College of Health and Human Services and one of Tinker’s handlers. Tinker is well-trained to be a loving force to those who are upset or stressed.  

This fluffy friend will be in 206B Marshall, Kellman-Fritz’s office, on Monday’s and Thursday’s and Halle 200, Alexis Braun Marks's office, at Halle Library on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s. You can also look for the fancy golden strutting the campus sidewalks in her facility dog vest. If you would like to set up a time to meet with Tinker, you can contact Kellman-Fritz at jkellman@emich.edu or Alexis Braun Marks, Tinker’s other handler, at abraunma@emich.edu.  

Anyone looking for a friend is welcome to seek out Tinker. Hopefully, she won’t be the only four-legged addition to EMU. “We hope she will be the first of many facility dogs on campus,” said Kellman-Fritz.  

The positive effect dogs have on humans is not just superficial. There is a scientific reason for dogs being man's best friend. For example, a Cleveland Clinic study shows that dogs improve mental health. Spending time with a loving creature can lower blood pressure and minimize cortisol, a stress hormone. Even just petting a furry animal can produce dopamine and serotonin, the positive neurotransmitters in the brain that make you happy. So in addition to being adorable, Tinker can also help people relax and lighten their mood.  

If you need a non-judgmental ear to listen, a fuzzy dog to pet, or just a friendly and adorable face, Tinker is your girl.