Stone & Spoon

Ypsilanti's Stone & Spoon closes doors

Wedged between a toy store and a cocktail club stands Stone & Spoon. A gift shop containing all manner of gifts and trinkets, everything from soap to cooking ware, and house plants to coloring books, this woman-run business will be closing this year.

The owner, Jen Eastridge, has made the decision to close the store. The business's last day will be Sept. 1. After four years of struggling, she wants to remove the stress from her life and look inward.

“I’m ready for a change,” Eastridge said.

The consumer market has changed so much in so little time. With modern technological advancements, online shopping is becoming the new norm. It’s hard for small businesses to stay in the game. Eastridge felt like she was climbing an insurmountable mountain trying to pay all her employees and manage her stores.

Eastridge is also the owner of Unicorn Feed Supply. Having opened in 2018, it was converted to an online only store in late 2023.

Stone & Spoon was the second business to come to life. Opening in 2020, the gift shop opened in honor of Eastridge’s mother, a woman who appreciated all things recyclable and renewable. The name of the shop itself was an homage to her mother who liked to collect stones, some of which are now displayed in the store, and had a wide array of wooden spoons. 

At first glance, one might expect just another tchotchke shop. However, it’s not just a store, it’s also a gallery. Opening in 2021, the upper level houses an open space perfect for cooking classes and writing lessons. It serves as a hub for creative like-minded individuals. 

Stone & Spoon has cultivated a specific brand over its years of business. The bell chimes with the entrance of each customer. The store is divided in sections, organized by category; cooking, gardening, soap, etc. An employee greets every new arrival with a cheery, “Hello!” The staff of Stone & Spoon are always determined to help you find the perfect gift, asking questions and giving suggestions. A corner of plants sits to the right, soaking up the sunlight coming in from the window. Soft music plays as the customers browse. Rainbows and pride flags pepper the walls, a sign taped on the table decreeing that all books in the store are woman-authored. Many products showcased are made from recycled materials, and even more are eco-friendly.  

Eastridge created Stone & Spoon with intention, wanting a space that was warm and welcoming, a place to relax. Indeed, the smell of candles and myriad of potted plants make the store feel like home.  

Although the store is closing, this is not a sad ending. The store has had a fulfilling time creating a safe space.

“I can’t wait to see who comes next," Eastridge said.

Eastridge herself is excited to start this next chapter of her life, slowing down and doing things she didn’t have the chance to managing multiple businesses.

Before the store closes its doors for good on Sept. 1, all are welcome to stop by and browse the books, peruse the potted plants, smell the soaps, and just take a breath.