The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

Welch_Hall_02.JPG

What's the move? July 22-28

Check out these events happening on and around Eastern Michigan University's campus this week.

Zumba with Kadesha & Teri - July 22

Head to the dance studio of Riverside Arts Center for a session of Zumba, led by instructors Kadesha and Teri. The weekly class occurs on Mondays from 6-6:55 p.m., and the first class attended is free of charge. Following the first class, each class costs $10 with a student ID or $15 without. Pass options are also available, which allow for the payment of multiple classes at once.

Walking Tours of EMU's Campus - July 24

In honor of Eastern Michigan University's 175 year celebration, the community will have an opportunity to tour the university's campus. With the tour led by University Archivist Alexis Braun Marks, individuals will explore a variety of original training spaces, such as the Model Schools. The tour will start at the fountain near Welch Hall and is free to partake in. It will run from 9:30-10:15 a.m., followed by an opportunity to ask questions. The link to register can accessed through the university's EMU Today website.

Summer Movie Series with DEI - July 24

Join the Women's Resource Center in watching "Inside Out 2" in Room 270 of the Student Center. A discussion will follow the film, with the free showing set to begin at 2 p.m.

Canvas & Verse - July 24

Head to the Ypsi Bloom Studio & Gallery for a night of writing. Attendees will first create poetry inspired by the studio's current running exhibition, and they will then have an opportunity to share the work written. Refreshments will also be provided to attendees. The event will run from 5-7 p.m., and a $5 donation is suggested.

Depot Town Comedy Open Mic - July 24

Visit 734 Brewing Company for a night of comedy. This week's free comedy night will be hosted by guest host Yogi, and the event will run from 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Air Workshop with Avery Williamson: Imagining Ypsilanti Histories and Futures Through Collage - July 25

Partake in a workshop led by artist Avery Williamson at Riverside Arts Center. The workshop will feature the creation of collages through the use of historical pictures of Ypsilanti. The workshop aims to highlight the existence and use of local archives, in addition to research skills pertaining to primary sources. Avery will also provide a discussion on the process regarding her work. The free workshop will run from 5-6:30 p.m., and the link to register can be accessed through the Riverside Arts Center website.

Bookmobile Storytime - July 26

Enjoy a storytime for kids of all ages on the Ypsilanti District Library's Bookmobile. With songs and activities included, the event will run from 3-4 p.m. outside of the Ypsilanti District Library's main branch, which is located on Michigan Avenue.

John E. Lawrence Summer Jazz Series: LaShawn Gray - July 26

Listen to a musical performance by artist LaShawn Gray as part of this week's John E. Lawrence Summer Jazz Series concert. The performance will be held at Ford Lake Park from 7-9 p.m., and admission is free. Parking costs $10, and attendees are asked to bring their own lawn chairs.

Riverside Swings - July 26

Swing dance with community members in the dance studio of Riverside Arts Center. Beginning at 8 p.m., a one hour beginner lesson will take place for free. After the beginner lesson concludes, a session of swing and blues will begin at 9 p.m., which will cost $5 to partake in.

25th Annual Michigan Summer Beer Festival - July 26-27

The 25th Annual Michigan Summer Beer Festival will be taking place at Riverside Park over the span of two days. The festival will feature live music, with each ticket purchase providing a total of 15 sampling tokens. There will also be food items available for purchase. On Friday, July 26, the festival will run from 5-9 p.m., and on Saturday, July 27, the festival will run from 1-6 p.m. More information regarding ticket prices, and the link to purchase them, can be accessed through the festival's website.

Ypsilanti Farmers Market - July 27

Head to Depot Town to shop from a variety of crafts, produce, and more from local vendors. The Ypsilanti Farmers Market, located at 100 Rice St., will occur every Saturday through summer from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Ypsilanti Jazz Festival - July 27

The third annual Ypsilanti Jazz Festival will be taking place at Montibeller Park this year, featuring free performances from local jazz musicians. The festival will run from 6-9 p.m., and attendees are asked to bring their own lawn chairs.