The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Team USA becomes World University Champions in the Netherlands

Team USA has excelled at the World University Championships in Rotterdam, Netherlands, becoming World University Champions and gold medalists. Head Coach Kemp Savage and upcoming Senior Lily Wilhelm received recognition for their success in leading the team to victory. 

“Athletes who are driven and want to see something big happen in their career can absolutely find that here,” Savage said.

The 2024-25 season will mark the 11th season for Savage as the Eagle’s Head Coach, following six seasons as assistant coach.

Under the leadership of Savage, the Eagles achieved notable success, securing three fourth-place finishes and three-third place finishes at the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Championships. Savage has gone down in the EMU record books with the highest finishes in program history, placing third at the CAA Championship in the 2016, 2018 and 2022 seasons.

Savage last coached the United States team at the 2018 World University Championships in Shanghai, China. His coaching led the US V8+ crew to secure a bronze medal, the V4+ team finished in fifth place, and the lightweight double sculls placed 11th overall.

“It was absolutely wonderful to see Lily get that experience and get the feeling of a big big win that we haven’t had collegiately at Eastern yet.” Savage said. 

Back in June, Wilhelm earned the title of Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) National Scholar-Athletes. This would record Wilhelm’s second time receiving the award. 

For more information on Eastern Michigan rowing, visit EMUEagles.com. You can also follow the team on social media.