The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2024 | Print Archive

Eagle Crest Golf Course Sign

Ryan Yip appointed EMU’s men’s assistant golf coach

Former Kent State University golfer Ryan Yip has been appointed the first full-time assistant coach for the Eastern Michigan University men’s golf team. The announcement comes Wednesday, July 11, from Head Coach Andy Walker. 

“I’m very excited to add Ryan to our coaching staff at Eastern,” Walker said. “Ryan and I go back quite some time as former competitors on tour and he’s going to bring so much to our program as a professional player, a great teacher and all of the recent success he’s had as a college coach.”

Yip saw remarkable success during his career as a golfer. His performance on what is now the Korn Ferry Tour, earned him six top 10 finishes across 117 events. Yip’s delivery on the PGA Tour Canada, would end victorious in the 2009 Jane Rogers Championship. 

This wouldn’t be Yip’s only experience with a PGA Tour. In 2013 and 2014, Yip gained international experience playing on the Asian Tour and OneAsia Tour where he would win the 2014 PGM Port Dickson Championship.

Yip has also participated in the 2013 U.S. Open, finishing T22 at the 2018 Canadian Open and 2019 Canadian Open. 

The Kent State University graduate returned to his alma mater to take on the role as assistant coach for the men’s golf team. With Yip’s leadership and knowledge, the team was able to attain eight academic All-MAC players, six All-American Scholars and received the second-highest team GPA of 3.76. 

“His knowledge of the MAC, the Midwest Region and his international recruiting experience add to what we are building at Eastern,” Walker said. “I cannot wait to work with Ryan!”

Yip’s coaching has led to three team titles, five individual victories, two MAC Golfers of the Year and one Freshman Golfer of the Year. The Kent State golf team has ranked as high as 28th place with Yip’s leadership. 

As a former Golden Flash, Yip earned All-MAC First Team honors each year throughout his 4-year collegiate career. Yip was named MAC Freshman of the Year and Co-MAC Golfer of the Year in 2005. He would also go on to win three individual titles and be inducted into the Varsity “K” Hall of Fame.

“I am thrilled to be able to work with Andy,” Yip said. “I look forward to showcasing our exceptional facilities and positioning Eastern Michigan as a golf powerhouse.”