The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Boathouse_9.jpg

Eastern Michigan University joins Mid-American Conference to add Women’s Rowing

In a landmark decision that underscored the Mid-American Conference's commitment to expanding athletic opportunities, the conference announced on Thursday, July 18, that women’s rowing will be added to its sports lineup beginning with the 2025-26 academic year. This move increases the MAC’s sponsored championships to 23 and positions the conference as a significant player in collegiate women’s rowing​.

The inaugural women's rowing championship will feature six programs: Eastern Michigan University, Toledo, UMass, and new affiliate members Delaware, High Point, and Temple. Eastern Michigan University will proudly host the first MAC Championship at Lakeside Park on Ford Lake in the spring of 2026, with the agreement of hosting for at least the first three seasons​.

Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher, MAC Commissioner, expressed his enthusiasm for the new addition: "Women’s rowing is a great addition to our sports sponsorship line-up. This is a sport that continues to grow in popularity, and I am already looking forward to awarding our first championship in May 2026.”​

EMU's Head Rowing Coach, Kemp Savage, shared his excitement about the transition: “The Mid-American Conference taking a leading role in the expansion of Women’s Rowing represents a significant investment in women’s athletics and the future of NCAA Rowing. All the future MAC coaches are enthusiastic about crowning the first conference champion at the new course in Ypsilanti, and we are honored to be the inaugural hosts at Eastern Michigan University.” 

Voices from the Rowing Community

Delaware’s Head Coach Asiya Mahmud highlighted the broader significance of this initiative: “The decision to sponsor women’s rowing in the MAC is one that shows support for not only Delaware athletics, but also the sport of women’s rowing. We are thrilled to forge forward in the MAC with other universities and rowing programs that share aspirations of bringing both regional and national relevance to the conference as well as a high level of competition.”​

High Point Head Coach Jessica Deitrick emphasized the competitive potential: “I believe the addition of women’s rowing to the MAC is great for the sport of rowing and for the programs involved. Together, we will make a competitive field that enhances our student-athletes experiences. For High Point University, this is a great place for us to be and develop into a highly competitive program and nationally-recognized name.”

UMass Head Coach Eric Carcich expressed his enthusiasm for the new facilities: “We’re also excited to compete at the state-of-the-art course Coach Savage has built at Eastern Michigan, which will attract the best crews from all over the country to invitational regattas and our annual conference championship.”​

Temple Head Coach Rebecca Grzybowski underscored the importance of competition: “Providing a competitive championship opportunity for our student-athletes is important for our team and also vital for the continued growth of women’s rowing around the country. We are grateful for all the hard work to make this a reality and proud to be part of the inaugural class of women’s rowing in the MAC.”​

Toledo Vice President and Director of Athletics Bryan B. Blair stressed the significance of their program: “A conference home is important to the growth and development of our rowing program. Today’s announcement further adds to the excitement surrounding the addition of the sport at The University of Toledo as we look to grow and nurture new relationships in our community​.”

The MAC’s decision to add women’s rowing is a testament to the conference’s dedication to fostering competitive excellence and expanding opportunities for female athletes. This historic move promises to elevate the profile of women’s rowing and provide student-athletes the chance to compete at the highest levels.