The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

David Carter Jr.

Eastern Michigan senior David Carter Jr nominated for AllState AFCA Good Works Team

David Carter Jr. is amongst 178 nominees for the 2024 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. This organization recognizes college football players for their outstanding commitment to community service and contributions beyond the field. 

Carter, a senior defensive back, graduated from Eastern Michigan University in April 2024 with a degree in communication. He has been committed to hard work on and off the field. 

Last season Carter collected 20 tackles, forced a fumble, and recovered another. Impressively, Carter was able to tie his career-high with six tackles against the University of Massachusetts. In 2021, he would deliver a 98-yard interception return for a touchdown. 

The Ecorse native has recorded 20.5 hours of community service this year alone. His dedication off the field includes connecting with cognitively and physically impaired community members during EMU’s Annual Victory Day. In Mobile, Carter assisted with passing out food boxes during Bowl week at Prodisee Pantry. 

Additionally, Carter’s involvement with the community extends to reading at local elementary schools and volunteering at the VA hospital. He has also been involved in other organizations and events such as the Foundation Preschool, Huron Valley PACE, and the Christian Love Fellowship Church Day of Reading. 

This year’s 178 nominees advocate for various causes including mental health awareness, youth mentorship, hunger relief, and domestic abuse prevention. 

In addition to being actively engaged with a charitable organization or service group, each player that is considered for this accolade must maintain a good academic record.

"You'll never regret making someone else's life better," said Tim Tebow, two-time national champion and 2009 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team member, in an interview with EMU athletics. "Year after year, I'm inspired by these incredible nominees who go above and beyond to help others.”

The final roster of 23 AFCA Good Works Team award recipients will be announced later in September. This roster will include 11 players from the FBS level and 11 student-athletes from the combined divisions of FCS, Divisions II and III, and NAIA. One honorary head coach will also receive recognition. 

Allstate will collaborate with the Wuerffel Foundation to merge two of the most prestigious awards in college football. The Allstate Wuerffel Trophy Watch List will be unveiled on Thursday, August 1.