The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Kitty Bourree performs at Ypsi Pride

What's the move? June 3-9

Check out these events happening around Eastern Michigan University's campus this week.

Zumba with Kadesha & Teri - June 3

Join instructors Kadesha and Teri for a session of Zumba in the dance studio of Riverside Arts Center. This class occurs weekly on Mondays from 6-6:55 p.m., with the first class attended being free of charge. Each class attended afterwards costs $10 with a student ID or $15 without. There are also pass options available which allow for the payment of multiple classes at once.

Historic Presentation Night at the Michigan Flight Museum - June 5

Head to the Michigan Flight Museum for its monthly Historic Presentation Night, which features a new speaker every month. The event begins at 7:30 p.m, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are free for members of the Michigan Flight Museum. For non-members, tickets cost $10 each and can be purchased on the Michigan Flight Museum website.

Depot Town Comedy Open Mic - June 5

Visit 734 Brewing Company for its weekly comedy open mic night. Hosted and emceed by Lisa Green, the free event will run from 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Ypsi Pride - June 7

Head to Depot Town to celebrate Pride Month at this year's Ypsi Pride. The celebration will include a variety of vendors and live performances on two separate stages. The festival is free to attend and it will run from 5-10 p.m. An after-party located at Mash will follow the festival, beginning at 10 p.m.

First Fridays Movie Night - June 7

View the 1988 film "Hairspray" with community members for this month's First Fridays Movie Night. The movie night will take place at Frog Island Park from 8-11:30 p.m., with the movie scheduled to begin at dusk.

"Black Hole" by Spinning Dot Theatre - June 7-8

Watch a Spinning Dot Youth Company Production of the play "Black Hole," written by Rana Ghaderi. Performances will take place at Riverside Arts Center on June 7 at 6 p.m. and on June 8 at 1 p.m. Tickets cost $10 each for adults and $5 each for students and seniors. They can be purchased on the Spinning Dot Theatre website.

Ypsilanti Youth Poet Laureate Commencement - June 8

Head to the Ypsilanti Freighthouse to celebrate Ruth Mella, the City of Ypsilanti's first Ypsilanti Youth Poet Laureate. The celebration will include performances by Mella, members of Ypsilanti's Youth Poetry Ambassador Squad, and former alumni of Staying Power. The event is free to attend, and it will run from 6-8 p.m.

Zion Pride - June 9

Join Zion Well for its annual Zion Pride event, which will feature a mental health fair, an hour-long yoga session, a food truck, and more. There will also be live music from DJ Love Permeator. The event will run from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Riverside Park. Tickets cost $25 each and can be purchased on the Zion Well website. Proceeds from all ticket sales will support the non-profit Stand with Trans.