The Eastern Echo Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Golf

Eastern Michigan’s Golf Coach Bruce Cunningham retires after 30 years

After three decades of transformative leadership at Eastern Michigan University, Head Men's Golf Coach Bruce Cunningham announced his retirement on May 24. The 2023-24 season marked Cunningham's 30th year leading the EMU men's golf team.

"It has been a privilege every day to coach and mentor our student-athletes," Cunningham said in an interview with Eastern Athletics. "With the addition of the GameAbove Golf Performance Center, everything is in place to pass the baton and enable the next coach and future teams to train and practice like champions."

Since he arrived at EMU in 1994, Cunningham has been a cornerstone of the men's golf program, leading the team to consistent top rankings in the Mid-American Conference. Under his guidance, the Eagles secured MAC titles in 2007, 2008, and 2019, with numerous top-three finishes throughout his tenure.

Cunningham’s legacy includes being named MAC Coach of the Year three times and leaving a lasting impact on hundreds of student-athletes.

"Eastern Michigan provided me with the framework to build a nationally relevant Division I program," Cunningham said. "Our program is a testament to every student-athlete who committed their college careers to EMU and upheld our values, goals, and expectations."

Earlier this year, Eastern Michigan inaugurated the GameAbove Golf Performance Center at Eagle Crest Golf Course, a facility dedicated in honor of Cunningham.

"GameAbove extends our heartfelt congratulations to Bruce on his retirement," GameAbove Chairman Keith Stone said. "His exceptional leadership and passion for the game and this university were remarkable."

The state-of-the-art GameAbove Golf Performance Center, funded by an $8 million gift from GameAbove, features locker rooms, meeting spaces, indoor putting and chipping areas, and cutting-edge simulators. This 13,000-square-foot facility is designed to elevate the training and performance of EMU's golf teams.

Reflecting on his career, Cunningham said, "The GameAbove Golf Performance Center will ensure our mission to win more MAC championships and earn NCAA postseason appearances. I am proud to have shaped the vision and design of this facility, which is critical for recruiting, skill development, and advancing both golf programs."

Cunningham's tenure is one of the longest in MAC history, and his influence extends beyond the course to his roles in various golf committees and his active involvement in golf administration. As a Class-A PGA Golf Professional, Cunningham’s career has been marked by a deep passion for teaching and promoting golf. His departure marks the end of an era, but leaves a strong foundation for the future of EMU Golf.