The Eastern Echo Wednesday, July 3, 2024 | Print Archive

Crosby Field

Crosby Field unveiled: EMU's new turf ready for action

In a significant moment for Eastern Michigan University, NFL star Maxx Crosby and his wife, Rachel Crosby, an EMU soccer alumna, donated $1 million to help revamp the university’s football field and other athletic programs.

The contribution has funded the removal of the existing track, installing a new playing surface and other substantial athletic improvements. In recognition of Crosby's impact, the field will be named Maxx Crosby Field.

Returning to EMU for the milestone event on June 21, three-time NFL Pro Bowler Maxx Crosby expressed his deep gratitude, crediting head coach Chris Creighton for guiding him since his teenage years.

"Every camp turned me down, but I refused to quit. I’m obsessed with what I do, and I wasn't going to take no for an answer, and I live my life that way every single day," Crosby said.

Athletic Director Scott Weatherbee praised the Crosbys' commitment, highlighting how their lead gift spurred additional contributions totaling $5.5 million last fall.

Weatherbee highlighted the renovation's significance for the football and track programs. “Our football program deserves a dedicated stadium, and our track and field programs deserve their own space. We’re building a new track facility, which will be completed in September. This allows each sport to thrive without overlapping.”

Creighton spoke emotionally about Crosby's journey and character.

"The Crosbys are E-Tough!" Creighton said. "At the lowest point—and we had a low one here—you bounced back, you just said it to everybody you never quit, that's what believing is; never quitting or giving up and obsessed with being your best. As we unveil Crosby Field, it is Rachel and Maxx Crosby who have done it together, and it has not been easy. You are the epitome of who we are and what we want to be."

Creighton highlighted the deep connection between Crosby's journey and EMU football values.

“Maxx embodies our spirit. Even when others doubted him, he persevered. His unwavering commitment to excellence is what we strive for in our program,” he said.

Weatherbee reflected on the journey leading to this moment. “Just a year ago, we were here inducting Maxx into the Ring of Honor. We talked about the need for new turf and the possibility of removing the track. Maxx’s eyes lit up at the idea. When he and Rachel offered to help with the funding, we knew we could make it happen,” he said.

Maxx Crosby also shared his vision for the future.

“You know, for me, it was about giving back," Crosby said. "I told Coach Creighton and Weatherbee that I wanted to do something big. I mean, they're talking about little things here now. We're gonna do it the right way when it's time, and we did it. So it's just the beginning.”

The impact of the Crosbys' donation goes beyond the immediate renovations. It signifies a commitment to fostering a winning culture and increasing fan engagement. Crosby referenced his time at EMU and the improvements he's seen since returning.

“When I first got to Eastern, it was night and day compared to when I left. We started winning, and more people started showing up. It was tough initially, but we learned how to win and grow.”

Crosby recounted his journey to EMU, which was filled with challenges and determination.

“My family, teammates, and everyone here have been part of this journey," he said. "I look for that 1% improvement every day and strive to be the best version of myself. None of this would be possible without Rachel, who has supported me every step of the way.”

In a tribute to Maxx Crosby's indomitable spirit and love for the game, Eastern Michigan University has honored his NFL journey by maintaining the field turf in "Raider Gray," a color reminiscent of his tenure with the Las Vegas Raiders.

This decision celebrates Crosby's dedication to excellence and echoes his famous quote about readiness for any challenge: "We'll play anyone, anytime, anywhere, even on a parking lot covered in broken glass."

As the EMU community eagerly anticipates unveiling the new Maxx Crosby Field, the Crosbys' generosity will undoubtedly inspire future generations of athletes and foster a renewed sense of pride and engagement among students and fans.

The exclusive Crosby Field Celebration welcomed Maxx and Rachel Crosby back to their collegiate home at Eastern Michigan University, where the EMU Department of Athletics unveiled the newly renovated field. This event marked a significant milestone for Eastern Michigan Football, showcasing its freshly revamped playing surface.

Attendees had the unique opportunity to enter the brand-new field and celebrate with EMU's proud community. Individual tickets, priced at $250 each, contributed 100% of their proceeds directly to Eastern Michigan Football, bolstering its NIL and academic awards programs. Beyond honoring the Crosbys' generous donation, the event highlighted their enduring impact on EMU athletics, ensuring a promising future for student-athletes.