The Eastern Echo Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 | Print Archive

A side view of the Ypsilanti District Library Superior Branch

Ypsilanti District Library Superior Branch opens call for its permanent art collection

The Ypsilanti District Library Superior Branch, which opened in November 2022, will continue the search for art to add to its permanent collection.

The submission window opened on May 20, and applications will close later this year on Sept. 6. Community members can also nominate an artist and their work for consideration. 

“We believe public art is an important part of our fabric. It helps inspire our visitors and reflects our community,” Library Director Lisa Hoenig said. “Our Whittaker Road location has an outstanding collection of artwork that was selected when it opened. We wanted to showcase a permanent collection of art at the new Superior branch that would tell the community’s stories.”

A painted mural containing images of nature and humans passing books.

The Ypsilanti District Library commissioned artist Julia Lubas to paint the mural now on display in the Superior Branch's kitchenette. The mural features elements of nature and images from the YDL's "Book Brigade" event in 2022.

During this current art selection cycle, the YDL has the means to purchase at least three pieces of art, totaling $6,000. Currently, there are three spaces available for art to fill at the Superior branch; one at the library’s main entrance, and two in study rooms. Concluding this selection cycle, additional spaces will be decided on for 2025.

Submissions will be reviewed and selected by a committee of 10 people, including Hoenig, Superior Branch Manager Mary Garboden, library trustee Patricia J. Horne McGee, library staff member Kallista Walker, and six community members with art knowledge and interest. This year, an Eastern Michigan University art student is serving on the committee.

Artists can expect to be notified if their work is selected by Oct. 25. The YDL will then purchase and display the selected artists’ work at the Superior branch. Each selected artist will be featured at a reception, and a workshop will be held for patrons of the library. 

According to the selection committee’s framework, they will be looking for art submissions that are vibrant, invite the community to converse with and comment on, focus on cultural storytelling, and are inclusive of all age groups.

For more information about the call for art, visit the Ypsilanti District Library’s website.