The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Esme Davies, a brown-haired young woman, runs in her EMU uniform.

Eastern Michigan places third and second at MAC outdoor track and field championships, advances to NCAA preliminary

The Eastern Michigan University Track and Field teams completed the outdoor season at Northern Illinois University at the Mid-American Conference championships on May 9-10.

Eastern Michigan took second place on the women’s side with a total score of 126.5 behind Kent State. The men’s side finished in third place with an overall total of 121, behind Akron and Kent State with 189 and 171.

The Eagles had six different athletes who went on to win their respective events. It included three on the track and three on the field side of things.

Track Side:

There were distance running events from the 100m up to the 10,000m. The Eagles had set many PRs across the board including George Gage (Pontiac, Michigan), Kyle Martin (Ypsilanti, Michigan), Makiya Worthy (Federal Way, Washington), Kayenn Maybin (Kalamazoo, Michigan), Linus Vennemann (Osnabrück, Lower Saxony, Germany), Sam Peterson (Charlevoix, Michigan Charlevoix), Anita Zaro (Timișoara, Romania), Sofia Ivanko (Buenos Aires, Argentina), and Aleah Johnson (Boltkins, Ohio). 

Eastern Michigan as a group on the men’s side ended up taking first place in total points in the 110m hurdles and 3,000m steeplechase, having the best score on the track of 16 on their way to a third place finish.

Finishing in second place, the women tied for first place in the 5k, which was highlighted by Esme Davies (Lake District, England) who finished with a time of 16:36. They also tied for first place in the 10k, with Davies doing a 34:38 gun time in her respective race. Davies concluded her final outdoor season by making her place in Eagle history.

Field Side:

PRs were alive on the field side of things for Eastern Michigan, which included athletes Isabella Brent (Dearborn Heights, Michigan), Samuel Jeffrey (Foothill, Ontario), Maleah Scott (Farmington, Minnesota), Antonia Woods (Winchester, Ohio), Alexander Thompson (Kingston, Jamaica), and Kyra Buffen (Columbus, Georgia).

The program won the triple jump on the women’s side and beat Bowling Green by six points as Buffen led the way for the Eagles with a 12.64m as her best jump. The men won the hammer throw and triple jump, both by seven full points each. Ryan Johnson (Springboro, Ohio) led the way with a 65.17m hammer throw, and Thompson had the best triple jump with a PR of 15.57m in one of his attempts.

Up next Eastern will participate in the NCAA Preliminary in Lexington, Kentucky, on May 22-25 on the campus of the University of Kentucky.

For more coverage on the Eastern Michigan track and field programs, you can visit The Echo’s website.