The Eastern Echo Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Zuccaro.jpeg

Eastern Michigan baseball stuns conference-leading Bowling Green with 10-9 walk-off victory

Taylor notches 100th career hit with RBI single

In a thrilling game at Oestrike Stadium on Friday, May 10, the Eastern Michigan University baseball team staged a remarkable comeback scoring three runs in the ninth inning to defeat the Bowling Green State University Falcons with a final score of 10-9.

Junior Mat Sanfilippo (Webster, New York/Webster Schroeder/Niagara C.C.) stepped up and clinched the victory for Eastern Michigan (1-0), delivering a crucial strikeout with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning.

The Eagle's offense was led by senior Kyle Schroedele (Redding, California/University Prep/Crown College), who performed 2-for-4 with a double, a home run, a walk, and three RBI. Sophomore Drew Jones (Cleveland, Ohio/Brush/Ohio State) also made a significant impact, going 3-for-4 with a double, a walk, and two RBI. Senior Blake McRae (Armada, Michigan/Romeo/Lansing C.C.) contributed three hits in four plate appearances, including a walk and an RBI.

The game saw Eastern Michigan trailing 4-0 early on, but they fought back in the second inning with Schroedele's two-run homer. They continued to chip away at the Falcons' lead, scoring once in the third inning and grabbing a 6-4 lead in the fourth.

Despite Bowling Green reclaiming the lead, Eastern Michigan rallied in the eighth inning to narrow the gap to 8-7. In the dramatic final inning the Eagles scored three runs, capped off by Jones' game-winning two-run double, sealing their third walk-off victory.

The Eagles and Falcons will run it back for game two on Saturday, May 11. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.