The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

DSC_4304.JPG

Ypsilanti Freighthouse brings community music, puppetry, and dance this April

The University Musical Society has signed a 2-year contract with Ypsilanti Freighthouse, resulting in upcoming events in the spring and fall.

The University Musical Society has partnered with the Ypsilanti Freighthouse to bring free entertainment and educational programs to Ypsilanti residents.

UMS at the Freighthouse will take place April 22-29, with a four-week residency in the fall, followed by residencies in the spring and fall of 2024.

Upcoming events include a breakdancing and graffiti workshop on Sunday, April 23, and a puppetry workshop on Saturday, April 29. Those seeking to reconnect with nature can get together at the Huron River with Marsae Lynette on April 27, and an open mic night and DJ night will also occur.

The event will launch with Brandon Waddles hosting a Community Sing where participants can either sing along or listen to the music.

Later in the week, The Regenerate! Orchestra invites guests to perform with the orchestra regardless of their experience or just to relax and listen to the tunes.

Additionally, the Kaleigh Wilder Trio and John E. Lawrence and the Power Band will bring some evening jazz.

“Everything is either a free event or pay-what-you-wish, and some of the events are free but ticketed,” Vice President of Marketing and Communications for the University Musical Society, Sara Billmann, said.

While the event is pay-what-you-can or free to the public, tickets are needed to gain access, and Ypsilanti residents have early access through the University Musical Society’s website.

To get early tickets and more information on upcoming events, go to their website or email ums-feedback@umich.edu.