The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Review: EMU's 'Stick Fly' play is an outstanding realistic play with its highs and lows

While the play properly represents a real home and a family, it fails in other aspects.

From the name of it, Eastern Michigan University's "Stick Fly" play might have audience members wondering what it might be about, as it is almost impossible for audience members to guess correctly.

"Stick Fly" is a play some people would find interesting, while others won't because of the sensitivity of the message and the way it is presented.

Synopsis 

The play takes place at a Black family's house and features contrasting characters that are trying to fit together well. This story begins by introducing the characters and their roles within the household through a day in their lives, and then slowly begins to reveal the secrets of each character.

Stick Fly's play generally explores class, privilege, and race themes through an interesting representation of love and family.

Highs of the play

The acting abilities of each actor are exceptionally good. Although the play has lengthy scenes that exceed the two hour mark, and each actor had very long lines that primarily discuss sensitive and complicated topics, the actors did a great job playing each part.

Furthermore, the stage setting and how the scenery and properties were arranged made it clear from the beginning where the play was taking place. The fact that the stage is comprised of a kitchen, a living room, a front door, and a staircase made it convenient for actors to enter and exit scenes in a realistic fashion.

Lows of the play

It was shocking to discover that a play named "Stick Fly" is about racism, privilege, and classism. I found the naming of the play inconvenient, although it wasn't written or named by EMU students or faculty.

Additionally, EMU's booklet rates the play as suitable for ages 14+, which I strongly disagree with since the play contains a lot of sexual hints and conversations that some parents may not find appropriate for a child of that age.

Finally, the play's progression through the story was somewhat confusing, as if some parts were missing. The play ended with my friend and I wondering what the play's main messages and goals were. Shockingly enough, the man sitting next to us was crying, which made us even more confused.

Overall, I would rate "Stick Fly" a 6 out of 10.