Eagle Crest Resort

Eastern Michigan University to sell Corporate Education Center

The Board of Regents authorized EMU President James Smith to move forward with sales documents. The sale will bring in $2 million for the University.

Eastern Michigan University plans to sell the Corporate Education Center located on the premises of Eagle Crest Resort.

The Board of Regents authorized EMU President James Smith to move forward with negotiating and executing the final sales documents during its meeting June 13.

According to EMU Chief Financial Officer Michael Valdes, the sale is expected to close no later than Sept. 30 and will bring in $2 million for the university. Funds from the sale will be directed to the university’s financial reserves.

The University previously used the center to hold conferences; however, Valdes said many of those conferences are now done as webinars, resulting in less usage for the space.  

“We felt that with the hotel reconstructing of (the CEC), with a new infusion of some dollars there going to a massive remodeling, now is the time to let them take that over and they can do whatever they need to do with the conference and convention space,” Valdes said.

A representative from the Marriott could not be reached for comment about the hotel's plans for the space.

The CEC, at 1275 South Huron st., is a part of a complex that includes the Eagle Crest Golf Course and Marriott hotel that overlooks Ford Lake.

The building will be sold to the Marriott ownership group, MFS Ypsilanti Holdings, LLC, and is not expected to have an impact on the operations of Eagle Crest Golf Course, which will continue to be operated by Eagle Administrative Services.