The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU to say farewell to Kim Schatzel with ice cream social

Last semester Interim President, Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs Kim Schatzel announced that she will be further expanding her career by leaving Eastern Michigan University to accept a new position in Baltimore County, Maryland as President of Towson University beginning on Jan. 25, 2016.

Rhonda Longworth will be succeeding her as the Interim Provost and Donald Loppnow will take over as the Interim President.

In April of 2015, the EMU Board of Regents unanimously appointed Schatzel interim president, following the leave of former President Susan Martin. Aside from her responsibilities at Eastern, Schatzel also serves as a member of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Audit Committee for Health Alliance Plan, as well as the Audit and Finance Committee for Henry Ford Health Systems. She has resided in Michigan for 30 years, building a family and career here.

To celebrate and honor Kim Schatzel, the university will be hosting an ice cream social and farewell ceremony for her in Student Center Room 310, on Thursday, Jan. 7 from 3:30-5 p.m. Plans for the social include an ice cream sundae bar and ice cream floats for students and staff to enjoy along with a small program that will be conducted around 4:15 p.m. There is no cost to attend this farewell.

In a prior announcement Schatzel made, she stated, “From students, to our wonderful faculty, our staff, leadership team and our wonderful network of alumni and supporters across the region, Eastern has been a wonderful place to call home.”

Students and faculty are strongly encouraged to attend the ice cream social to wish Schatzel well in the new journey that she is about to embark on.