The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

Eagle on the Street

Aches and pains. Cancer and chemotherapy. Medical marijuana has been making headway in the medical community as an option for patients with all sorts of ailments. The Echo asked students: “Do you view medical marijuana as a viable treatment option? Why or why not?”

“I’d say yes because I know they use it to treat people who have no appetite – because everyone gets the munchies. I know that some people use it to treat things like bulimia and anorexia and I think it’s supposed to help when people are going through chemotherapy – to help with the nausea and everything.”

Catherine Stuart, biology, sophomore

“Yes because I watched a two-hour documentary on it and a kid went from taking over 100 pills to just having two every time he was having an attack. I don’t remember what his condition was, but it cut down on the cost a lot for his family. So I think for certain situations it’s a lot easier. I personally don’t smoke, so for recreational purposes, I don’t agree with it. But people make their own decisions.”

Jordan Stefl, interior design, freshman

“I would say yes because I feel like if it truly helps the person other than them trying to get high. Why shouldn’t something that cures, maybe, cataracts or something like that be banned?”

Vonzeka Lipscomb, mechanical engineering technology, freshman

“I do feel that medical marijuana is, in fact, a viable treatment option. There have been studies done that do purport that it does, in fact, have very beneficial uses. There have been a lot of testimonials and videotaped evidence of people with very debilitating illnesses, that after receiving a dose showed marked improvement. They improve while you’re watching them. And the fact that it’s being ignored and classified as a drug that has no benefit is just a crime in my opinion.”

Justin Pomeroy, computer science, sophomore

“I think in a lot of ways it can be. I think if the need is there and it helps, it should be. But for recreational use, I don’t know. In the same way, if the need’s not there I don’t think it’s necessary.”

Aaron DeLand, computer science, freshman