The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

Board of Regents approves new Journalism and Media Studies major

The Board of Regents approved a new Journalism and Media Studies major at its meeting on Oct. 7.

Journalism and Media Studies previously existed as individual majors, but in the fall of 2015 the new combined major will be available for undergraduate students.

Although the major combines both journalism and media studies, it does not eliminate either individual major.

Carol Schlagheck, journalism program director, and Geoff Hamill, coordinator of the Electronic Media and Film Studies, worked together in creating and heading this new major, which will be housed in the Communication, Media and Theatre Arts department.

In the past, students would find themselves going between the two majors, and eventually double majoring. It became clear to Schlagheck and Hamill that a combined major would help students succeed in the changing times.

The Journalism and Media Studies major requires 42 credit hours of course work and an internship. Most current students have room in their schedules to accommodate the increase in hour requirements or have taken some of the required classes already.

EMU alumni have helped Schlagheck and Hamill in perfecting the major to fit the demands of a modern journalism career.

Nathan Bomey writes for the Detroit Free Press and graduated from EMU in 2006 with a double major in journalism and political science. Bomey’s career requires that he not only writes, but also appears on television and radio. His experience has motivated Schlagheck to adjust curriculum to reflect the need for today’s reporters to be skilled in reporting at both print and television, not just one or the other.

“This really reflects what has been going on in the industry,” Schlagheck said.

The class will include courses like Introduction to Electronic Media and Introduction to Journalism and Radio Television News.

The Journalism and Media Studies major has found the middle ground for EMU graduates to succeed in the workforce, which is part of the reason why the internship is a major requirement.

Carol Schlagheck expressed her gratitude for the alumni’s support that has helped sculpt the new major. Students can find more information about the major by contacting either Schlagheck or Hamill.

“This major takes the best of both journalism and media studies. I am very excited for our students,” Schlagheck said.