The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

SGA: Hiring Executive Board

Lisa Swearingen
Senior Staff Writer

Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government is now hiring for positions on its Executive Board. Five positions are available: Director of Communications, Director of Political Action, Director of Services and Events, Director of Student Relations and Clerk of Student Government.
The Executive Board consists of people who sit in between the president, vice president and the senators of the Student Government.

Anyone can apply for a position on the board. According to Student Body President Desmond Miller, last year three graduate assistants applied for positions, and it was the first time that the SG had graduate assistants working for the board. Undergraduate students can also apply.

A student’s GPA doesn’t matter and the applicant needs only to be in good-standing with the college.

Miller also said that those who sit on the board are paid for their services. The standard pay is $7.50/hr.

He also said that students who are accepted for employment could hold roughly 15-25 hours of work per week. The hours will depend on need he said.

The responsibilities held by each of the members are as follows:

Director of Communications assist in handling public relations for SG, advertisement, media contact and various marketing plans.

Director of Political Action produces information of political and governmental issues, and can also assist in organizing voter registration and learning areas.

Director of Services and Events manage the goings-on at SG’s office and assists in coordinating events with SG, like banquets or summits.

Director of Student Relations serves as a connection to EMU’s Campus Life and helps to conduct surveys regarding issues that the student body might have.

Clerk of Student Government prepares agendas packages for the Senate meetings, and also maintains records of hours, agendas and resolutions, among other items.

Miller said that any student interested in applying for one of the five positions, should fill out a form, which is located on the SG page of the EMU website. Once a person has filled out a form, they are then placed through an interviewing process conducted by the SG president.

Deadline for applying is May 31.

Miller’s advice to those who are seeking to join is to be passionate about working with the students.

“Be student advocates,” he said. “Make sure you know that we are here to serve students.”
Deadline for applying is May 31.

For a full list of responsibilities and other information regarding SG and the Executive Board, visit the Student Government website at: http://www.emich.edu/studentgov/get_involved/employment.php.