The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU baseball loses to OSU, preps for Ohio

The Eastern Michigan University baseball team lost on the road to Ohio State University 13-4 Tuesday night.

Eastern (8-15, 2-1 MAC) sent redshirt junior right-hander Brian Valente to start on the mound. Valente pitched four innings and gave up seven runs and a walk.

Senior Ben Magsig was 3-for-3 at the plate with a walk and scored a run for Eastern Michigan.

Ohio State (13-10, 1-2 Big Ten) had two batters with multi-hit games. Junior Brad Hallberg was 2-for-4 with a double, triple and three RBI. Sophomore Mike Carroll had a 2-for-4 day, scoring
two runs along with two stolen bases.

Buckeyes’ sophomore starter Greg Greve pitched four innings, giving up six hits and three runs. Greve also walked and struck out three.

EMU got the game going with two singles from seniors Magsig and Bo Kinder. But Ohio State got three quick outs to end the EMU threat.

OSU sophomore Tim Wetzel led off the bottom half of the first inning for the Buckeyes with a double to right-center field. Wetzel scored on Hallberg’s triple to give OSU a 1-0 lead. Hallberg later came home on an RBI groundout to extend the Buckeyes’ lead to 2-0.

EMU junior Daniel Russell led off the second inning with a walk and stole second base. Senior Tucker Rubino hit a double to score Russell, giving EMU’s first run of the game. Redshirt freshman Adam Dennison hit an RBI double to tie the game at 2-2. Eastern Michigan held Ohio State
scoreless heading into the third inning.

Senior Brent Ohrman hit a one-out triple to right field. Ohrman scored on a wild pitch to give EMU a 3-2 lead.

Ohio State put up five runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a 7-3 lead. OSU had two one-out singles and freshman Patrick Porter hit an RBI double to tie the game at 3-3. An infield single loaded the bases for the Buckeyes. Wetzel hit a sacrifice fly to left field, allowing Ohio State to regain the lead 4-3. Junior Ryan Cypret hit an RBI single, and Hallberg followed with a two-run double.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Ben Dartnell came out of the bullpen to replace Valente. Dartnell gave up two runs on two walks and a hit, allowing OSU to increase its lead to 9-3.

Magsig led-off with a double into right field. Kinder walked to put runners at the corners as redshirt junior Jamie Simpson came in to pinch-hit. Magsig scored on a wild pitch as Kinder stole second, reducing the Ohio State lead to 9-4.

Ohio State added four runs in the bottom of the seventh on four hits off EMU junior Taylor
Dimmerling, who came in for Dartnell. Dimmerling pitched in the eighth inning and stopped OSU with a 1-2-3 inning.

Redshirt freshman Miles Sorise got his first collegiate hit, a pinch-hit double to left to lead off the final inning. Redshirt sophomore Dae Bowden came to the plate to pinch-hit, only to ground out. Kinder walked and Simpson singled to load the bases. Longo grounded into a double play to end the game.

Ohio State senior Paul Geuy got his first win of the season while Valente dropped his record to 2-2 with the loss.

Eastern played Michigan Wednesday and will hit the road to Athens, Ohio to play a weekend series versus Ohio. The next home game will be against Michigan State with a 6 p.m. first pitch.