The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Women take on Wayne State, Akron Saturday

The season is winding down for Eastern Michigan University’s women’s swimming and diving team. EMU (3-3, 1-1 MAC) will host two different teams at the Jones Natatorium the weekend of Jan. 20-21. The Eagles will swim against Wayne State at 5 p.m. on Friday and compete against Mid-American Conference opponent Akron at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

During the past weekend, EMU traveled to Cincinnati to take on Xavier, Cincinnati and Louisville, beating Xavier 110-90. EMU took a 1-2 finish in the 500 meter and 1,000 meter freestyle, with junior Briana Emig and junior Wesley Blassneck taking the top two spots in both events.

Eastern Michigan won against Cincinnati 159-139, but lost to Louisville.
Emig placed second in the women’s 1650 freestyle, seven seconds behind the leader. Freshman Jessie Godlewski was the top finisher in the 200 freestyle, capturing fifth place with three seconds separating her from first place.

Wayne State (4-2, 2-0 GLIAC) returns the Jones Natatorium after a third place finish during the EMU Invitational on Dec. 2-3. The Warriors won over Grand Valley State,165-135.

A top contributor for the Warriors is sophomore Carol Azambuja, who posted her best times in the 50, 100 and 200 meter freestyle, and 100 and 200 meter backstroke events during the Invitational.

Akron (3-4, 1-2 MAC) comes off a 176-123 win at Marshall. In the dual meet, Akron won 9 out of 16 events in the meet, including the medley and freestyle relays.

The strongest swimmers for the Zips include junior Rebecca Zimmer, who posted her top times this year in the 200, 500 and 1000 meter freestyle categories. Sophomore Catherine Carr got her best times in the 200 butterfly, 200 and 400 individual medley events.

After its meets against Wayne State and Akron on Friday and Saturday, EMU will have two meets remaining until the MAC Championships begin in Akron, Ohio on Feb. 23. Eastern Michigan swims against Miami for the home finale on Jan. 27, and concludes their season in Toledo on Jan. 28.