The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Women defeat Akron

The Eastern Michigan University women’s swimming and diving team won its Mid-American Conference dual meet on Saturday over the visiting University of Akron 185-115.

EMU (5-3) (2-1 MAC) also won on Friday over Wayne State 134-104. Junior swimmer Briana Emig won in the 200-, 500- and 1000-yard freestyle events.

Freshman Jessie Godlewski claimed a victory in the 200 individual medley event as well as the 200 backstroke.

Emig also grabbed three wins against Akron on Saturday in the same events. Godlewski got first place in the 200 backstroke and 200 butterfly. The Eagles took a 1-2-3 finish in the 200 backstroke with Monica Dorszewski, Lauren Kalinosky and Vanessa Weidner. The team also grabbed victories in both relay events.

“It was really good to win both meets and to get two more wins under our belt,” Emig said. “It has us pretty confident going into [the MAC Championship meet].”

Akron (3-5) (1-4 MAC) was only able to get four first place finishes at the dual meet. Akron junior Kelsea Cross won the 100 yard backstroke event by 0.20 seconds over EMU senior Amanda Keifer. Seniors Jessica Ickes and Meg Finnerty and sophomore Catherine Carr also got victories for the Zips.

In the diving events, EMU grabbed a pair of 1-2 finishes in the one and three meter events. Redshirt sophomore Danielle Hulvey scored a 299.85 to win in the 1 meter dive while junior Kelly Hendricks finished second with a score of 293.40.

Hendricks won the 3 meter dive with 346.20 and Hulvey placed second with 332.93.

“The divers really pulled through and I was excited for them,” freshman diver Lauren Dark said.

EMU has two more meets in the regular season and will take almost a month off before the MAC Championships in Akron, Ohio. The next competition for the Eagles will be the home finale, a dual meet against Miami, at the Jones Natatorium at 5 p.m. this Friday.