The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Better late than never

EMU junior looks to continually improve

Most swimmers say they got into swimming from the time they were young. Eastern Michigan University junior swimmer Michael Kinross probably got off to a later start than most, taking up swimming at nine years old.

Originally from Crystal Lake, Illinois, just outside of Chicago, Kinross got into swimming as a result of swim lessons, and he said his mother wanted him to continue swimming.

Kinross had a successful career while attending high school at Crystal Lake South High School. He won three letters in his sophomore, junior and senior years and qualified for the state tournament each of those three years. His other accomplishments include earning most valuable player for his team three times and in his conference twice. Throughout his high school career, Kinross and his squad trained in different circumstances than most teams in the area.

“It was different than most high school [swim teams] because none of the teams in my district had a pool,” Kinross said. “So we swam as a co-op team and trained at our local YMCA from 8:30 to 10 at night.”

When it came time to select a college, Kinross had Eastern Michigan lined up for his first recruiting trip. He says he found EMU to be such a good fit for him that he canceled his other previously scheduled recruiting trips.

“EMU was my first recruiting trip and I really enjoyed the weekend,” Kinross said. “I thought it was a really good fit both academically and for swimming.”

Kinross’s specialties are the butterfly and freestyle events, and he finished in the top ten fastest times in the butterfly in the Mid-American Conference his freshman year. His highest finish was a second place in the 200-meter butterfly event versus Ball State and a third-place finish against Wayne State in the same event. EMU went on to win its 29th MAC Championship that same year with Kinross participating and finishing seventh in the 200 butterfly.

His sophomore season saw him qualify for the MAC Championship where Michael finished sixth in the 200 butterfly and tenth in the 100-meter event. Kinross had dual second place finishes against Ohio State in the 100 butterfly and versus Xavier in the 200-meter individual medley event. Eastern Michigan returned to the MAC Championships and came home with a second place finish as a team. Kinross was sixth in the 200-butterfly.

So far this season, Kinross has taken a first place finish in the 200 butterfly event in the 143-98 victory over Wayne State. His top times have come from the 100- and 200 butterfly and 200 individual medley categories, all of them from the EMU Invitational.

With the beginning of a successful career at EMU, Kinross says he has enjoyed Eastern Michigan both as a swimmer and student.

“Academically, the school has been a great experience,” Kinross said. “Freshman year, winning [the MAC Championship] is by far the highlight of my career and I look forward to repeating that feat again this March.”

His teammates have seen firsthand the leadership and hard work Michael has put into the team.

“He leads by example and is a hard worker in practice,” freshman Grant Schwartz said.

What Kinross enjoys the most about the sport of swimming is the goals he and his team set and work hard to accomplish.

“My favorite part of swimming is the satisfaction of swimming fast at the end of the season and achieving the goals I have set,” Kinross said. “It is an indescribable feeling knowing 7 months of constantly working hard has paid off.”

When he is away from the pool and not busy pursuing a degree in secondary education, Kinross likes to catch up on other sports, and he says SportsCenter is always on when he is watching television. A true Chicago native, he enjoys watching the Bulls, Bears and Cubs.