The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 7, 2024 | Print Archive

Oakland Grizzlies take first over Eagles

Women’s

“The feeling going into the invitational was really positive, and we were all really psyched,” said Lily Glaeser, a senior freestyler for the Eastern Michigan University women’s swim team.

On Friday and Saturday, the women’s swim team hosted its 22nd EMU Invitational at Jones Natatorium. The teams that participated in the event were Ball State, Oakland, Wayne State, Ashland, IUPUI and Findlay.

On Friday afternoon, the action started at 3:30 p.m., and the swimmers were anxious to dive into the competition. Briana Emig, who was recently named the Mid-American Conference player of the week, achieved her career best in the 1,650 Freestyle by finishing first place with a time of 16:03.51. This was also the second-
fastest time in the NCAA Division 1 for the 2011-2012 season.

Kelly Hendricks landed another first-place finish on the 3-meter boards with 314.93. She was followed by her teammate Danielle Hulvey (297.90). Jaquelyn Swartz was able to make an impressive second-place finish in the 200 butterfly (2:02.05).

“Our team was really into the meet,” Emig said. “The cheering is always invigorating.”

The first day ended with the Oakland Grizzlies in the lead with 358 points. The top swimmers for Oakland were
Johanna Gustafsson, Alyssa Vela and JulieAnne Stears. The Eagles jumped into second place with 319 and Wayne State was third with 220.5 points.

Day two of the invitational began at 10 a.m. and finished up with a second session at 6 p.m.

“The freshmen women really did a great job,” Emig said.

Emig was able to capture first place in the 400 IM and the 500 freestyle during day two of the invitational. Sara Ghaffari came in second in the 100 butterfly and Swartz snagged third. Swartz also swam her way to first place in the 200 IM.

In the women’s 800 freestyle relay, the team of Emig, Ghaffari, Monica Dorszewski and Jessie Godlewski took second behind Oakland. Hulvey and Hendricks dominated on the 1-meter boards with Hulvey coming in first and Hendricks taking second.

“We are right where we want to be from a training standpoint,” Coach Peter Linn said, “Unlike the other teams here, our team is still training.”

The Eagles will take on Xavier at 5 p.m. on Dec. 13 Cincinnati, Ohio.