Soccer beats Miami 2-1 for first win of season

The Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team earned its first victory, 2-1, against Miami University on Sunday at Scicluna Field.

Opening the game, EMU (1-10-2, 1-4-1 Mid-American Conference) put the pressure on with forward Angela Vultiggio making the first goal 10 minutes into the game. The assist came from midfielder Cara Cuaia.

Attempting to even the score, Miami (6-7, 1-5 MAC) continued to pressure EMU for much of the half, taking shots with every given chance and substituting on every opportunity to provide good energy on the field.

Concluding the first half, Miami outshot EMU 6-1 during the final 10 minutes.

Entering the second half, EMU approached the half just the same, applying early pressure to the defense, which led to a header by forward Allison Kaim that went wide.

Following the early scare, Miami pressured throughout the second half, creating opportunities that failed to score.

While the score remained 1-0 for much of the game, Miami substituted often, looking to find offense. EMU’s pressure refused to let up during the 70th minute, taking multiple corner kicks and two shots, one from Vultaggio, as she searched for her second goal of the game.

While the second half wound down, Miami capitalized on a foul, scoring its first goal of the game from forward Jess Kodiak, which was her sixth goal this season and sent the game into overtime.

In overtime, Miami applied early pressure and had an shot with a header but it was saved by Maggie Manville.

Following the save, EMU got its first win off another goal from Vultaggio. The goal was her fourth of the season and was assisted by midfielder Amanda Marsh.

The Eagles will face Northern Illinois (2-10, 1-5 MAC) at 2p.m. Friday in DeKalb, Ill.