MAC game dropped

Eastern Michigan University lost in its first Mid-American Conference game to the Toledo Rockets 54-16 on Saturday in the Glass Bowl.

Alex Gillett was 12-for-23 in passing for 122 yards along with 21 rushing yards for one touchdown. Penalties haunted the Eagles as they had 12 for 85 yards and they gained 89 rushing yards.

EMU running back Javonti Greene was questionable and got to carry once for 1 yard. Dominique White carried 15 times for 52 yards with a score.

Toledo quarterbacks Austin Dantin and Terrance Owens combined to go 27-for-30 with 302 yards and four touchdowns. Eric Page made 11 catches for 109 yards to take the top spot on the Toledo all-time career receptions list.

The Eagles (3-3, 1-1 MAC) got the ball to start the contest and went three-and-out on their first drive.

Toledo (3-3, 2-0 MAC) also punted the ball on its first drive. The Eagles could not find a way to score on their next drive, as Toledo got on the board first with Dantin connecting on a pass to Morgan Williams for a 19-yard touchdown, putting the Rockets ahead 7-0.

Owens switched in at quarterback for Toledo and threw a 55-yard pass to Bernard Reedy five minutes into the second quarter to give Toledo a 14-0 lead. Almost two minutes later, Eric Page returned a punt for 86 yards to the end zone to put the Rockets ahead 21-0.

With 3:37 left in the opening half, EMU’s Kody Fulkerson kicked a 49-yard field goal. Gillett threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to Kinsman Thomas with 1:22 left in the half. The Eagles went for the extra point, but it was blocked and Toledo returned it for two points, putting the Rockets ahead 23-9 at halftime.

Toledo would score 17 unanswered points in the third quarter and two touchdowns in the final quarter. White put up the only fourth quarter score for the Eagles with a 3-yard run.

EMU will take on Central Michigan (2-4, 1-1 MAC) at 3 p.m. Saturday in Mount Pleasant.