Soccer loses opener 3-0

The Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team lost 3-0 to Illinois State in its home opener on Friday, Sept. 16 at Scicluna Field.

The Eagles finally returned home after completing a six-game trip. The trip ended with a 2-0 loss in Western Kentucky, making Eastern Michigan 0-5-1. Eastern lost against Oakland University, 1-0, before heading to Bowling Green, Ky.

Despite the record to start the season, the team is trying to remain upbeat and saw some positives from the trip.

“We got 22 good players,” coach Scott Hall said. “It’s just a matter of finding
that chemistry.”

The Redbirds came in to the contest with a 4-3 record and dangerous scorer in freshman forward Rachel Tejada, who was in a tie for fourth in the nation with nine goals and third in the nation in points scored (22).

This game also marked the first time back for the Eagles’ Kaim sisters, Julie and Allison, after they missed the previous four games to attend their mother’s funeral.

ISU got the first two shots on goal of the game with Eastern Michigan getting some shots on net. In the 30th minute, Tejada scored to give the Redbirds a 1-0 advantage—that score would hold until halftime.

EMU came out fighting to start the final half and showed aggression while getting shots on goal, but not able to find one past the goalkeeper. Tejada shot and scored from point-blank range in the 63rd minute to put ISU ahead 2-0.

Tejada completed a hat trick in the 84th minute, the second of her career.

EMU is 0-6-1 and ISU is 5-3. ISU outshot Eastern Michigan 19-16. Redbirds’ senior forward Jessica Carlson got an assist on all three of Tejada’s goals.

Though they were shutout for the third time in a row, the Eagles are trying to remain positive and upbeat about the recent losses.

“We created some good chances,” Hall said. “We just couldn’t quite put it away.”
Molli Krick said, “Every game we’re doing a little bit better. We have so many chances, but we can’t put them in the back of the net.”

Bianca Rossi, Angela Vultaggio and Chelsea Detrick all had three shots for the Eagles. Eastern Michigan senior goalkeeper Maggie Manville made 10 saves.

Vultaggio continues to lead the team in goals, two, and points, four.

The Eagles will start their Mid-American Conference schedule the rest of the way. They will travel to Akron, Ohio Sept. 23-25.

The next home game for Eastern Michigan will be against Kent State at 4 p.m. Sept. 30 .