Soccer falls at Akron, its 8th consecutive loss

Eastern Michigan’s soccer team lost 3-0 against Akron on Sunday in Ohio.

EMU (0-8-1, 0-2 Mid-American Conference) is on an eight-game losing streak. Akron (4-3-1, 1-0-1 MAC) has won three of its last four.

During the first half, the Eagles and Akron had five shots apiece. EMU edged Akron on corner kicks (6-5) and saves (8-3).

During a slow-paced first half, there was one penalty committed. Senior midfielder Chelsea Deterick was given a yellow card during the fifth minute.

In the opening moments of the first half, EMU piled on the pressure, taking four consecutive shots.

For much of the first half, the teams were evenly matched, with much of the half involving substitutions by both teams hoping to find a break through goal. But the first half ended without a goal.

Beginning the second half, Akron applied early pressure. During the 53rd minute, junior midfielder Ashley Hughes capitalized on a foul to score her first goal of the season.

Looking for an equalizing opportunity, midfielder sophomore Megan Pedro shot, but it went wide right during the 56th minute.

Following the Akron score, EMU continued to apply consistent pressure, yet Akron controlled much of the second half, outshooting EMU 11-6.

The second goal came from sophomore midfielder Kelly Deniro during the 66th minute; it was her second goal of the season.

Following the 2-0 lead by Akron, EMU attempted to get back in the game with consistent substitutions, looking to create more offense with fresh players.

The constant pressure from Akron continued, scoring once more during the 82nd minute from a header by freshman midfielder Alexandra Frawley. It was her first goal of the
season.

Closing out the game was a corner kick from the Eagles, which gave them their eighth loss in a row.

EMU will face Kent State (7-3-0, 1-1-0 MAC) at 4 p.m. Friday at Scicluna Field.