Sherrer showcases talents on, off field

In the 41-9 victory against Howard University in the season opener, Eastern Michigan University quarterback Alex Gillett gave the ball to senior running back Dominique Sherrer, who broke right through the defense, saw nothing but
green grass and pumped his legs for a 77-yard touchdown run.

Sherrer, a 5-foot-9, 207-pound redshirt junior has come a long way throughout his career. With many highs and lows, he looks to help return EMU to winning ways.

Sherrer is a native of Cincinnati, and took up football at the age of 8. He said he had help from family when choosing to play football.

“Everybody in my family played football so it’s more of a family tradition than a choice,” said Sherrer, who ran for 111 yards on 16 carries with a touchdown
against Alabama State on Saturday.

He showcased his talent in the sport, as well as, his performance in the classroom at Colerain High School. Sherrer set the school record for touchdowns in a season with 24 and was named to the all-state, regional and league teams.

His hard work in school earned him various academic awards as a three-year honor student. Looking to play at the collegiate level, he found Eastern Michigan to be a good fit to play football and continue in his education. He is working toward a major in finance.

“I felt like [Eastern Michigan] was the best fit for me as far as my talents and as far as education too,” Sherrer said about his choice in college.

Sherrer’s freshman year was off to a rough start in 2008 when he only played in
the first two games before suffering a season-ending injury. But the injury did not keep him from earning his first varsity letter.

The next season he played five games and earned a second varsity letter.

Injuries hampered Sherrer’s career again in 2010, but he played in eight games as a kick returner and running back, carrying 20 times for 47 yards and returning 20 kicks for 444.

With the many peaks and valleys in his career, Sherrer looks back on his career at EMU with a positive outlook and enjoys being a part of the team.

“It’s like a second family from home,” Sherrer said. “We’re really close as a
team.”

He has one year of NCAA eligibility after this season.