The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

Alternative places for class

EMU has several Michigan-based locations

Eastern Michigan University offers students education beyond Ypsilanti’s campus, with courses offered at 10 other EMU locations.

At these locations, students can receive anywhere from certificates/endorsements to doctoral degrees. Livonia and EMU-Online offer the widest variety of degrees and programs aside from main campus, with hundreds of course options.

EMU’s location in Livonia has been available for approximately 12 years, leasing a space on West Six Mile Road. This location offers a variety of certificates/endorsements, undergraduate and master’s degrees and a specialist and doctoral degree in Educational Leadership. EMU’s location in Livonia is convenient for working adults, offering evening and weekend classes and no morning credit courses.

“It’s a really nice building,” said Mary Beth Kalvaitis, an EMU student who lives in Livonia but studies in Ypsilanti. “I tried to go there for summer classes, but they didn’t offer the chemistry classes I needed.”

Another student from Livonia had reasons for choosing the Ypsilanti location over Livonia.

“I see the building every day and have wondered about it. If it is cheaper to go there I definitely would,” junior Stephan Lank said.

EMU’s location in Livonia goes by the same academic calendar as the main campus and tuition rates run the same as Ypsilanti commuter rates. Representatives from the Livonia location make appearances at job and educational fairs, where students can learn more about the Livonia location and how to register for classes.

The Livonia department has an office located in Boone Hall where students can inquire about their educational opportunities. In addition, students or prospective students can go to extended.emich.edu/livonia to learn more about degrees and courses or to register for classes at the Livonia location.

In winter and spring 2012, Livonia EMU will be introducing new programs. In winter 2012, Nursing – R.N./B.S.N completion — will be available for an undergraduate degree. Beginning spring 2012, students will be able to receive a master’s in nursing at the Livonia location.

EMU-Online is an online program allowing students to take courses entirely over the web. This program enables Eastern Michigan University to educate people around the globe and is convenient for students, allowing them to take class virtually anywhere, anytime.

Students have access to five certificates, four undergraduate programs and masters in nine educational fields, with the academic calendar running the same as main campus. Students can register and drop classes online and visit EMU-Online’s office at 101 Boone Hall for help and information. Students taking online courses can access resources available to on-campus students, such as the bookstore and academic advising, all through EMU-Online. Tuition rates for online courses run the same as Michigan in-state tuition rates and tuition runs higher for non-resident students.

Beginning in fall 2012, EMU-Online will be introducing Nursing (R.N./B.S.N. completion) in the undergraduate program.

Northern Michigan is another location where EMU students can earn credits. This other program, which involves courses to take place over various dates from June-August at Northwestern Michigan College, is available in Traverse City.

Students can earn up to three graduate or undergraduate credits toward their EMU degree.

EMU student Tim Ellis said he had a positive experience with this program.
“I stayed at a hotel and took classes at Northwestern,” Ellis said. “It was really fun because you got to go out and explore Traverse City. I signed up online and it cost the same per credit hour as any other class.”

The current tuition and fees rate applied to all courses ends up as an added $55 fee per class. There are added fees for lodging, transportation and meals; however, students can contact the Financial Aid Office to find out financial assistance eligibility with housing and transportation costs.

Information on earning EMU credits in Northern Michigan can be found at ep.emich.edu/locations/northern_michigan.aspx.

Other EMU locations include Brighton, Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Jackson, Monroe and Washtenaw County. Information on these locations can be found at extended.emich.edu.