The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

All eyes on Denard

Michigan always seems to have the home-field advantage with Michigan Stadium having the largest capacity in college football.

The Wolverines are 27-1 against MAC teams with the only loss coming from Toledo in 2008. In order for Michigan to go 10-0 in the series against EMU, it will have to do the following.

On offense: Denard Robinson continues to prove himself to be the early Heisman Trophy candidate. His performance against Notre Dame earned him the Big Ten offensive player of the week after throwing for 338 yards for four touchdowns.

He also contributed to 446 of Michigan’s 452 total yards. Robinson will have to use his various receivers, such as, Junior Hemingway, Roy Roundtree and Jeremy Gallon to pick apart the EMU defense.

On defense: The defense for Michigan continues to be a work in progress as the new coaches continue to put their new defensive schemes into place.

Heading into this week’s game, Michigan is ranked 116th in total defense, allowing opponents to gain 7.2 yards per play and 513 total yards per game.

It was the defense that got Michigan in trouble in the first half. The secondary has to get in the face of the receivers in order to add more frustration to the EMU passing game.