Gillett looks to lead offense

Rewind to Sept. 19, 2009, to the football game between the University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University at the Big House.

With Michigan well ahead in the fourth quarter, EMU senior quarterback Andy Schmitt dropped back three steps, looked to his right to pass but collapsed to the turf in pain as he twisted his knee.

The pain was so intense, he fumbled and Michigan recovered.

With Schmitt out for the season with an Achilles tendon injury, the door opened, and a true freshman quarterback, Alex Gillett, stepped in.

Now a junior, Gillett will look to continue to lead the Eagles offense.

Originally from Green Springs, Ohio, Gillett grew up minutes from other Mid-American Conference schools, such as Toledo and Bowling Green.

He attended high school in Clyde and played football, basketball, baseball and ran track.

In football, he set various school records in passing and rushing at quarterback.

His excellent athletic ability and academic performance got him offers from Eastern Michigan, Toledo and Princeton.

Gillett decided on EMU after seeing he would get more chances to play at his favorite position.

“[Eastern] gave me a chance to play at quarterback,” Gillett, a 6-foot-1, 215-pounder, said about his decision. “I was also comfortable with the coaches and the players.”

Gillett started three games in 2009, finishing second on the team in rushing (579).

He also rushed for two touchdowns and passed for three more.

He looked at his freshman year as a learning experience on how to play at the highest level of college football.

“[The Michigan game] was all a blur to me,” Gillett said. “It went so fast, but it was a great experience for me.”

Gillett started all 12 games last season and led the team in rushing (955) with five touchdowns while throwing for 13.

He was also named the team’s most valuable offensive player of the year and earned his second letter for football.

Such an honor shows his teammates see dedication and drive to win.

“His drive is addicting,” senior running back Corey Welch said . “When he gets into the huddle, it seems like he takes control.”

As of the start of the season, Gillett is ranked sixth in career offensive yards at EMU. He is also ranked 13th in career passing attempts (366) and career passing yards (2,396).

From freshman year to now, Gillett has shown quite a bit of growth and displayed his dedication to seeing his team come out as winner.