The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 | Print Archive

Tuition could raise; speak out about it

Many students are aware of the budget cuts universities in Michigan are going to receive in the next year. But some are not aware of how much will be cut and what it might mean specifically for EMU students.

According to Leigh Greden, EMU’s executive director of government and community relations, “State funding for all universities will be cut by 15 percent and EMU’s appropriation will be reduced by $11.4 million, from $76.026 million to $64.619 million.”

11.4 million dollars is almost enough to provide the entire EMU student population a $500.00 scholarship!

So, we lose $11.4 million, but what does that really mean for EMU students?

As if school wasn’t expensive enough, in order to maintain efficient operations, Eastern must raise tuition. The state appropriation bill, according to Leigh Greden, mandates tuition increases be below 7.1 percent, which is the worst-case scenario, but still a possibility. A 7.1percent increase in tuition would bump prices up to about an extra $250.00 per semester.

An increase in tuition costs means longer working hours, college debt and precious time spent trying to pay these prices.

As a result of not being able to afford the higher tuition, future or current students might experience delays in starting classes or even drop out.

Students working longer job hours mean less time for student involvement. This time can be spent more wisely on academics and getting involved with school.

But, budget cuts and tuition increases are not yet set in stone for EMU. There is something you as an Eastern student and Eagle can do about it.

The Board of Regents is the governing body of EMU and they have the final decision on tuition rates.

We as students need to step up and voice our opinions. Only we together as one can make a difference at EMU.

I urge all past, current and future EMU students to email their questions, concerns and comments regarding tuition increases to Vicki Reaume – the VP and Secretary for Board Affairs – at vreaume@emich.edu. She will forward your responses to the Board of Regents.

All those who express their thoughts are encouraged to sign-up to speak at the Board of Regents meeting at 4:00 p.m. June 21 in Welch Hall.

If you are not comfortable with higher tuition rates, express your thoughts. Make a difference for thousands of Eagles and their future.