The Eastern Echo Thursday, Aug. 8, 2024 | Print Archive

73f02499-7615-4d96-ab3c-44cf96a7770f-4th-of-July.jpg

Ypsilanti hosting 93rd annual Independence Day parade Monday on Cross Street

Fourth of July parade is taking place July 4 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Ypsilanti is celebrating United States Independence Day with their 93rd annual parade on Monday, July 4 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

This will be the first big parade in Ypsilanti since the pandemic began, open to the public and closing off all of Cross Street.

The organizers suggest bringing in your own lawn chairs because the parade will not provide seats for guests. For the best viewing experience, arrive earlier than usual to claim a spot.

The parade is sponsored by the American Legion and hosted by the community of Ypsilanti. They started the tradition of this parade to spread American tradition in Ypsilanti. Although dressing in Independence Day spirit is recommended, it's not required at all in order to attend the parade. 

The parade will include a dance crew, many music bands, classic cars, a theater group, local businesses promoting themselves and also Mrs. Washtenaw. The parade will be dynamic, fun and one of the most festive events for Independence Day.

“It's really exciting that we are able to put this back,” Erica Hampton parade coordinator said.

This parade is not only to celebrate Independence Day. It's also a day to honor the closing of Haab’s Restaurant. Haab’s Restaurant was a staple restaurant in Ypsilanti, and it is closed after 87 years of service. The parade’s Grand Marshal is Mike Kabat who was the owner of Haab’s Restaurant, and he will be leading the 4th of July parade. 

Although there are currently many events already booked for the parade, the parade coordinators are still accepting sign-ups.